Re: Using tables in other PostGreSQL database

From: Shane Ambler <pgsql(at)Sheeky(dot)Biz>
To: Brent Wood <b(dot)wood(at)niwa(dot)co(dot)nz>
Cc: scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Using tables in other PostGreSQL database
Date: 2008-03-29 06:44:21
Lists: pgsql-general

Brent Wood wrote:

> I am looking to convince a business which does not use schemas, but
> does use separate databases to move to Postgres & having to shift
> from this paradigm is an issue for them. They are perfectly entitled
> to require such an approach, if we want to increase the user base of
> Postgres, we need to meet more users needs..... (simplistic I know,
> but I think a valid concern).

Did you ever hear of this thing called the Y2K bug a few years back?

The whole (or main) cause of this was in the early days management made
decisions on how programs would do certain tasks and in this case how it
would store data. Programmers wanted things done the way they are now
(or similar), but management knew better.

The developers and technical staff should decide on how features are
implemented not managers that know nothing of the technical reasoning
behind such decisions.

They are within their rights to say we want the program to perform these
tasks and this data only available to x staff and this data available to
y staff. How you implement these restrictions is best decided by someone
who knows how this decision will impact with future development as well
as complications of implementing and maintaining the tasks required.

I agree that we need to meet users needs and in some cases there is a
need for the feature you require which is why there is an add-on
available. The developers involved have left this as an add-on feature
for several reasons, one is a limited need for this feature (in properly
designed systems?), another is the security considerations which need to
be taken into account when one does implement such a feature.

Adding a plugin you need is of little consequence and is common place
with something like a web browser ,media player or graphic design
software, so why should we need everything added to a default install of
postgresql and not use plugin style feature additions?

Even simple things like procedural languages need to be manually
installed by those who want to make use of them and they get used more
than cross db data sharing.

--

Shane Ambler
pgSQL (at) Sheeky (dot) Biz