Re: TODO Item: Consider allowing control of upper/lower case folding of unquoted, identifiers

From: Russell Smith <mr-russ(at)pws(dot)com(dot)au>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: TODO Item: Consider allowing control of upper/lower case folding of unquoted, identifiers
Date: 2008-03-27 16:30:21
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

It looks like most of the hard yards will be in getting some form of
consensus about what should be done for this TODO. I can't see a reason
not to get started on the design now. If a decision is not able to be
made after 4 years since the original discussion, is it worth removing
the TODO or letting it sit for another 4? But to the actual issue at hand.

Andrew Dunstan attempted to summarize the original 2004 thread
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2006-10/msg01545.php;

--
There was some discussion a couple of years ago on the -hackers list
about it, so you might like to review the archives. The consensus seemed

The options I thought of were:

1. current postgres behaviour (we need to do this for legacy reasons, of
course, as well as to keep happy the legions who hate using upper case
for anything)

2. strictly spec compliant (same as current behaviour, but folding to
upper case for unquoted identifiers rather than lower)

3. fully case sensitive even for unquoted identifiers (not spec
compliant at all, but nevertheless possibly attractive especially for
people migrating from MS SQLServer, where it is an option, IIRC).
--

Supporting all 3 of these behaviours at initdb time is not too invasive
or complicated from my initial investigation. The steps appear to be;

1. parser has to parse incoming identifiers with the correct casing
changes. (currently downcase_truncate_identifier)
2. The output quoting needs to quote identifiers using the same rules as
the parser. (currently quote_identifier)
3. the client needs to know what quote rules are in place. (libpq:
PQfname, PQfnumber)
4. psql needs to \ commands to be taught about the fact that case can
mean different things to different servers.
5. bootstrap needs to correctly case the tables and insert values when
bootstrapping at initdb time. This is only really an issue for upper
case folding.

Many people appear advocate a 4th option to only want the column names
to be case preserved or upper cased. They expect other identifiers will
behave as they do now. This doesn't really bring us any closer to the
spec, it takes us away from it as Tom has suggested in the past. It
also appears to increase the complexity and invasiveness of a patch.
Being able to support case preservation/sensitivity for all identifiers
at initdb time appears to be no extra work than supporting the upper and
lower folding versions.

The discussions around having a name as supplied and a quoted version
allow lots of flexibility, probably even down to the session level.
However I personally am struggling to get my head around the corner
cases for that approach.

If this needs to be at createdb time, I think we add at least the
following complexities;

1. all relations cases must be altered when copied from the template
database or quoted when copied.
We have no idea what a template database might look like, all views
and functions would need to be parsed to ensure they point to valid tables.
2. shared relations must be able to be accessed using different names in
different databases, eg PG_DATABASE, pg_database.
3. The data in shared relations appears different to the same users in
different databases.
eg my unquoted username is MrRuss, in db1 (upper): MRRUSS, db2 (case
sensitive): MrRuss, db3 (lower): mrruss
My guts tells me that's going to lead to user confusion.

Dumping and restoring databases to different foldings can/will present
an interesting challenge and I'm not sure how to support that. I don't
even know if we want to support that officially.

I'm leaning towards initdb time, mainly because I think a patch can be
produced that isn't to invasive and is much easier to review and
actually get applied. I also think that adding the createdb time flags
will push this task beyond my ability to write up a patch. Either way
though, consensus on what implementation we actually want going forward
will enable some more skilled developer to do this without the pain of
having to flesh out the design.

In light of this email and the other comments Tom and Andrew have made,
it's very easy to say 'too hard, we can't get agreement'. I would have
thought that standards compliance would have been one good reason to
push forward with at least the upper case folding ability. Both of the
options but there never seemed to be any knocking the ideas around and
getting consensus phase. I would like to at least nail down some of the
requirement, if not all. I have put forward my personal opinion, but I
expect that is not of significant value as there are many others with
much more experience than I.

Regards

Russell Smith