Re: Make MS Access "UPDATE" PostGre SQL Table

From: Justin <justin(at)emproshunts(dot)com>
To: Daniel Verite <daniel(at)manitou-mail(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Make MS Access "UPDATE" PostGre SQL Table
Date: 2008-03-26 14:08:37
Lists: pgsql-general

Daniel Verite wrote:
> Justin wrote:
>
>> Another option is use SQL pass through to append records from ACCESS
>> table into Postgres table that is open in Access.
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/303968
>> http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb208861.aspx
>> the command would look something like this
>>
>> Insert into PosgresTable (f1, f2, f3,) Select f1, f2, f3 from
> AccessTable
>
> It seems to me that SQL pass-through is kind of contrary to what the
> OP needs.
>
> A query in SQL pass-through mode will be executed as if it was typed
> in psql, that's the point of this mode. So refering to an Access table
> like your example query does is not going to work.
>
> What the OP can do is attach the CSV file in Access so that it will
> appear as a table and should be usable as such in an update or insert
> query within Access query builder. It's quite straightforward, there's
> no need for temp files or COPY.
>
> Best regards,
TO quote the OP "I'm using Access as that is a point of comfort for me.
I can write a .net procedure though I'm not exactly firm on the procedure."

So i thought it would be nice to point the OP in the right direction in
getting that to work. learning how to setup connection strings and
write SQL queries in access will carry over to pretty much everything else.