Re: Make MS Access "UPDATE" PostGre SQL Table

From: Justin <justin(at)emproshunts(dot)com>
To: "Pettis, Barry" <Barry(dot)Pettis(at)atmel(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Make MS Access "UPDATE" PostGre SQL Table
Date: 2008-03-26 03:51:37
Lists: pgsql-general

Pettis, Barry wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm fairly new to DBMS's and PostGre SQL in particular. Most
> of my experience is with MS Access. I've created MS Access to
> retrieve data from PostGre by linking tables and have done so without
> error. However, I am now in need of being able to update a PostGre
> table. The source will be a .csv file.
>

> I've seen a "COPY" command in PostGre that will allow you to
> specify a .csv file as the source, but in looking at it it appears
> that it deletes and then creates the table with the stored data. I
> need to be able to Update or Append data from a file. Maybe going the
> route of a temp file then update from that.
>

> I'm using Access as that is a point of comfort for me. I can
> write a .net procedure though I'm not exactly firm on the procedure.
>

> Thoughts on how to do the entire front end in Access.
>

> Or
>

> Thoughts on whether to do it from a .net perspective.

Another option is use SQL pass through to append records from ACCESS
table into Postgres table that is open in Access.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/303968
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb208861.aspx
the command would look something like this

Insert into PosgresTable (f1, f2, f3,) Select f1, f2, f3 from AccessTable

Once you get a handle on SQL pass through in Access that knowledge will
make using ADO.NET allot easier.

a starter look at ADO.NET
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms978510.aspx?s=6

Postgres has .net provider http://pgfoundry.org/projects/npgsql