Re: Postgres Performance

From: Steve Crawford <scrawford(at)pinpointresearch(dot)com>
To: Aftab Alam <aalam(at)tsrdarashaw(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Postgres Performance
Date: 2008-03-20 22:13:49
Lists: pgsql-admin
Aftab Alam wrote:

> Dear All,
>

>             I am using postgres 7.0 with linux with 15 GB of database
> & 3 gb of RAM.
>
> Can anyone suggest what is the best setting for postgres. I am using
> postgres as web db.

I'm going to assume/hope that you mean 8.0. Even then, you would be well
advised to upgrade. 8.0 is over three years old and no amount of tuning
will make it as fast as the newer releases.

Then look at http://www.google.com/search?q=postgresql+tuning

The Varlena articles are good even if dated. After reading a few pages
and trying a bit of experimentation, check back with unanswered
questions. Nobody can recommend a "best setting" without a thorough
understanding of your workload. Or even if they do -
guidelines/suggestions is the best you will find.

Cheers,
Steve