Re: postgre vs MySQL

From: Thomas Harold <tgh(at)tgharold(dot)com>
To: "Leif B(dot) Kristensen" <leif(at)solumslekt(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: postgre vs MySQL
Date: 2008-03-14 16:06:22
Lists: pgsql-general

Leif B. Kristensen wrote:
> On Friday 14. March 2008, Adrian Klaver wrote:
>
>> Years ago I played around with MySQL because that
>> was what "everybody" was using. The problem was it did not do what I
>> wanted and Postgres did.
>
> That pretty much sums up my experiences too. Back in 2002 when I started
> fooling around with databases, there wasn't much of a competition, and
> I used MySQL as 'everybody else' did. But when I reached the point
> where issues like data integrity started to matter, I was advised to
> try PostgreSQL. I did, and haven't looked back. That was in 2005, and
> PostgreSQL was at version 7.4 something.

Our issue back then (early part of this decade) was that PostgreSQL
didn't run easily on top of MS Windows and I didn't yet have any Linux
boxes that I could run it on. It wasn't until 8.0 that we finally
started playing with pgsql in earnest. We also now have Linux servers
installed, which makes things easier on a lot of fronts.

(We'll be migrating our small MySQL install over to postgresql this
year. The public site is still based on MS SQL and hosts a few dozen GB
worth of data, but we have plans to migrate that to pgsql as well once
we have more experience with it.)