Re: Postgres on Linux - was 'Complete breakdown of pgadmin when trying to connect to server or modify properties of tables of views'

From: Andrew <archa(at)pacific(dot)net(dot)au>
To: Pgadmin-Support <pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Postgres on Linux - was 'Complete breakdown of pgadmin when trying to connect to server or modify properties of tables of views'
Date: 2008-03-12 02:27:01
Lists: pgadmin-support

Without wanting to start a religious debate on the merits of various
Linux distro's, I'm still going to ask the subjective question, which is
probably a recurring one, and perhaps not suitable for this forum.

Which Linux distro's support Postgres releases the best? Which are best
suited in a server vs. development suite of tools?

Somewhat related but off on a tangent, for at least the last year up
until the purchase of MySQL, Sun has been championing Postgres on their
recently opened sourced Solaris OS. I do not appreciate what the extent
of Sun's support of the Postgres community has been, but a presentation
I attended last year seemed to indicate that they were doing quite a bit
in performance and profiling enhancements, particularly in tuning the DB
to the Solaris OS.

How does Solaris with Postgres stack up against the various Linux
distro's with Postgres? Also, will Sun as far as anyone is aware of
their intentions, continue to have the same level of interest in
Postgres following the MySQL acquisition? And will they continue to
champion Postgres like they had been doing over the previous twelve months?

Cheers,

Andy