[ANN] Now v8.3 based SE-PostgreSQL is available

From: KaiGai Kohei <kaigai(at)kaigai(dot)gr(dot)jp>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: [ANN] Now v8.3 based SE-PostgreSQL is available
Date: 2008-03-11 12:56:09
Lists: pgsql-hackers

It is an announcement of new version of SE-PostgreSQL.

Now v8.3 based SE-PostgreSQL is available
SE-PostgreSQL development team published v8.3 based SE-PostgreSQL at:
http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/development

You can obtain the v8.3 based sepostgresql package which contains
its security policy module from here.

NOTE: This version is not available at Fedora 8 or prior.
Please wait for Fedora 9, or update your system to rawhide.

The following official documentation will help your understanding:
http://sepgsql.googlecode.com/files/sepgsql_security_guide.20080214.en.pdf

Updates from v8.2 based SE-PostgreSQL
- The base version was upgraded to PostgreSQL 8.3.0
- It enabled to share external libraries (like -contrib package)
with original PostgreSQL.
- Cumulative bugfixes.

The features of SE-PostgreSQL
-----------------------------
Security-Enhanced PostgreSQL (SE-PostgreSQL) is a security extension
built in PostgreSQL, to provide system-wide consistency in access
controls. It enables to apply a single unigied security policy of
SELinux for both operating system and database management system.
In addition, it also provides fine-grained mandatory access which
includes column-/row- level non-bypassable access control even if
privileged database users.
These features enables to deploy SE-PostgreSQL into data flow control
scheme integrated with operating system, to protect our information
asset from threats like leaking, manupulation and so on.

http://code.google.com/p/sepgsql/wiki/WhatIsSEPostgreSQL

P.S.
Now we are preparing to submit our PGACE/SE-PostgreSQL patches
to join v8.4.x development cycle. Please wait for a while!

Thanks,