How to allocate 8 disks

From: Craig James <craig_james(at)emolecules(dot)com>
To: pgsql-performance <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: How to allocate 8 disks
Date: 2008-03-01 18:06:54
Lists: pgsql-performance

We're upgrading to a medium-sized server, a Dell PowerEdge 2950, dual-quad CPU's and 8 GB memory. This box can hold at most 8 disks (10K SCSI 2.5" 146 GB drives) and has Dell's Perc 6/i RAID controller.

I'm thinking of this:

6 disks RAID 1+0 Postgres data
1 disk WAL
1 disk Linux

I've often seen RAID 1 recommended for the WAL. Is that strictly for reliability, or is there a performance advantage to RAID 1 for the WAL?

It seems to me separating the OS and WAL on two disks is better than making a single RAID 1 and sharing it, from a performance point of view.

Thanks,
Craig