Re: insert ... delete ... returning ... ?

From: Mark Mielke <mark(at)mark(dot)mielke(dot)cc>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Jonah H(dot) Harris" <jonah(dot)harris(at)gmail(dot)com>, Postgresql-Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: insert ... delete ... returning ... ?
Date: 2008-02-24 23:52:30
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:
> "Jonah H. Harris" <jonah(dot)harris(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
>
>> Not stupid, it doesn't work :) This was a limitation of the original
>> design based on (IIRC) executor-related issues.
>>

> There are definitional issues not only implementation ones; in
> particular, in subquery-like cases it's entirely unclear how many times
> the DML operation will or should get evaluated.

Interesting. Would it be cheating to only allow it in cases where the
evaluation should definately be only once? For example, insert ...
delete, create table ... delete, or part of a join expression?

In any case - I don't have the know how to fix it, and it's certainly
more of a "would be cute" than "I must have it." I'll settle with my
table locks for now. It's no big deal for my application.

I'm noticing a massive reduction in on disk storage required for my
database that I believe is primarily attributable due to Tom's reduced
overhead for short strings. Some of the tables I am importing have a 10
- 20 short string fields (many 0 length strings!). Unfortunately - I
wasn't looking for this specifically, so I didn't keep my old database
instance around. But I'm thinking by memory that the biggest table is
now 1/3 the number of relpages in 8.3 as it was in 8.2. Good job all
around hackers. Again - *NO* problems. It just works.

Cheers,
mark

--
Mark Mielke <mark(at)mielke(dot)cc>