Re: Proposed patch to change TOAST compression strategy

From: Teodor Sigaev <teodor(at)sigaev(dot)ru>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-patches(at)postgreSQL(dot)org, Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Jan Wieck <JanWieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Proposed patch to change TOAST compression strategy
Date: 2008-02-18 10:01:38
Lists: pgsql-patches

> This proposed patch addresses some issues in TOAST compression strategy that
> I have not done any performance testing of these changes --- does
> anyone have specific test scenarios they'd like to try?

That's very important change for text search, because of tsvector storage.
Headline and rank reads a lot of tsvectors. It seems to me that ranking test
will be very clear: rank function reads whole tsvector and returns small amount
of data (just a number).

Another testing focus may be a lossy indexes, like a index over polygons.

WWW: http://www.sigaev.ru/