Re: FUNCTIONs and CASTs

From: "Dean Gibson (DB Administrator)" <postgresql(at)ultimeth(dot)com>
To: pgsql-sql <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: FUNCTIONs and CASTs
Date: 2008-02-15 23:03:02
Lists: pgsql-sql

On 2008-02-15 14:32, Tom Lane wrote:
> "Dean Gibson (DB Administrator)" <postgresql(at)ultimeth(dot)com> writes:
>
>> Again, you are not understanding my point. My point was that specifying
>> tablename.columnname%TYPE notation doesn't help with the performance
>> problem; I have to explicitly cast the parameter in the body of the
>> function.
>>

> The reason for the lack of communication is that no one else believes
> that premise. Casting a value to the same type it already has is
> demonstrably a no-op.

Casing a TEXT item to a CHAR( 9 ) item isn't a no-op. I've seen this
before in "EXPLAIN ..." output, where a search on an indexed column will
be sequential because the planner treats the search value as TEXT rather
than CHAR( 9 ).

Are you saying that no one believes there is a performance difference?
Amazing ...

Tom, I've privately eMailed you access instructions to one of my DB
servers, so you can see for yourself.