Re: Timestamp Length or Precision Bug

From: Adam Taft <adam(at)adamtaft(dot)com>
To: pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Timestamp Length or Precision Bug
Date: 2008-02-08 15:40:19
Lists: pgadmin-support

Dave Page wrote:
> On Feb 8, 2008 12:40 AM, Adam Taft <adam(at)adamtaft(dot)com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've noticed this bug for quite a few versions of PgAdmin now. I was
>> hoping that a bug reporting tool would someday appear on the website. I
>> guess this is the best way to report the problem.
>
> That is the correct method.

Great, thanks for letting me know.

>> When creating a 'timestamp without timezone' and specifying the 'length'
>> parameter, invalid SQL is generated. The generated SQL is this:
>>
>> ALTER TABLE usertags ADD COLUMN a timestamp without time zone(3);
>
> Thanks, fixed in SVN for 1.8.3.

Good, can't wait. I set my timestamp precisions frequently because of
compatibility with the Java SQL type which seems to only support up to 3
decimals of precision. I have to set the precision to 3 to be able to
correctly compare timestamp equality.

>> Additionally, the 'length' field is used in the PgAdmin UI, whereas in
>> the PostgreSQL documention, the field is referred to as 'precision.'
>> I'm wondering if the Precision input box in the PgAdmin UI should be
>> enabled instead of the Length input box.
>
> I'm not so worried about that - everyone know what it means and it's
> more than just a couple of lines of code to change it.

Agreed, this doesn't seem to be a big deal. It is pretty obvious.

Thanks,

Adam