Re: [Cert] Re: PostgreSQL Certification

From: Chander Ganesan <chander(at)otg-nc(dot)com>
To: cert(at)lists(dot)postgresqlcertification(dot)org
Cc: Hans-Juergen Schoenig <postgres(at)cybertec(dot)at>, pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org, Dave Page <dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Greg Smith <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com>
Subject: Re: [Cert] Re: PostgreSQL Certification
Date: 2008-02-04 17:46:32
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-general

Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> On Mon, 4 Feb 2008 18:15:03 +0100
> Hans-Juergen Schoenig <postgres(at)cybertec(dot)at> wrote:
>

>> most guys on this list here have written one or the other patch in
>> the past so it should be fine ...
>> how about that?
>>

> Those same people should without incident be able to pass a
> certification test.

I disagree, I think that some of those people might have quite a hard
time with a certification exam. Any useful exam would *at least* cover
some PostgreSQL Administrators (perhaps a separate developer exam..),
and such an exam would cover a wide range of subject matter, none of
which is/was related to developing or fixing source code. While we
might have a developer that is great at writing a new optimization
strategy, he probably won't take the time to focus on some more
administrative tasks, like sequences, tablespaces, PITR - or other
topics that aren't related to optimization.

Also, isn't this putting the cart before the horse? I think for a
certification program to succeed we first need to develop the delivery
mechanism, question bank, and administrative mechanism. Once a
certification is designed and in place, we can then focus on the
ancillary aspects.

I would think (from this discussion) that perhaps the first goal might
be to determine the types of certifications to be offered (of there is
to be more than one) and develop objectives - or at least what a "pass"
of the exam should be demonstrative of. I would recommend (at least to
start) a "PostgreSQL Certified Administrator" exam...

IMHO, it will be difficult to assess who is qualified to deliver
certification training - if at all possible. All that can be done (at
most) is to prevent courses from being listed on Postgresql.org (and
even that might be difficult)...

--
Chander Ganesan
Open Technology Group, Inc.