Re: Bug in all version with encryption

From: John R Pierce <pierce(at)hogranch(dot)com>
To: Suresh Gupta VG <suresh(dot)g(at)zensar(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Bug in all version with encryption
Date: 2008-01-17 09:01:19
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Suresh Gupta VG wrote:

> I had recently upgraded my pgsql 7.4.2 to pgsql 8.2.5 on Solaris 9
> Sparc machine. All the installation went normally as per install
> documents of Postgresql. In between the installation, I got the
> following error. But at the end I could create database and can use
> the DB as normal.
> -------
> ERROR: incompatible library "/usr/lib/pgsql_clcrypt.so": missing magic
> block
> HINT: Extension libraries are required to use the PG_MODULE_MAGIC macro.
> STATEMENT: CREATE FUNCTION blowfish_encrypt(text, text) RETURNS text
> AS '/usr/lib/pgsql_clcrypt.so', 'blowfish_encrypt'
> LANGUAGE c;
> -----------
>
> This problem is coming with all the versions of PGSQL. We had a good
> experience with similar error when we were upgraded with 7.4.2 long
> back. Can you pls advice what to do to rectify this error in
> Postgresql 8.2.5.

this does not look like a postgres bug to me.

Offhand, it looks like your database loads custom functions from the
shared object library /usr/lib/pgsql_clcrypt.so which was probably built
for your older 7.4... you'd either need to rebuild that library to be
8.2 compatible, or remove the CREATE FUNCTION statements that reference
it (and modify any SQL code you have which calls these
blowfish_encrypt() etc functions...)