Re: Patch for Statement.getGeneratedKeys()

From: Ken Johanson <pg-user(at)kensystem(dot)com>
To: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Patch for Statement.getGeneratedKeys()
Date: 2008-01-16 08:12:13
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-jdbc

Tom Lane wrote:
> Right. I suggest using regclass to obtain the OID of the referenced
> table, which then allows direct lookup in pg_attribute and other
> relevant catalogs. Something along the line of
>
> select attname from pg_attribute where attrelid = 't'::regclass

Here is what I have so far (not sure of my conditionals yet or if I need
any joins for them):

select attname from pg_attribute
where attrelid = 'postgres.public.test'::regclass
and attstattarget=-1
and attisdropped='f'
order by attnum asc

Very simple and elegant, you guys rule.

Couple things I want to verify - will this regclass method have any
cases where security would make it less reliable than say, using pg_*?
Also compatibility issues?: are there any server or session/driver modes
that would somehow prevent this from working?

ken