Re: Some ideas about Vacuum

From: Markus Schiltknecht <markus(at)bluegap(dot)ch>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Gokulakannan Somasundaram <gokul007(at)gmail(dot)com>, Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers list <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Some ideas about Vacuum
Date: 2008-01-12 17:51:56
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

Tom Lane wrote:
> Well, one of the principal arguments for having VACUUM at all is that it
> off-loads required maintenance effort from foreground transaction code
> paths.

Off-loading doesn't mean we don't have to do the work, so it's obviously
is a compromise.

AFAICT, having to write some DSM blocks from foreground transaction code
paths may well be worth it overall, if it saves VACUUM from doing much
more I/O.

Especially if the bgwriter can defer the I/O to after commit time (which
I'm thinking of as another form of off-loading work from foreground
transaction code).

Regards

Markus