Re: Has anybody think about changing BLCKSZ to an option of initdb?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com, Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>, Jacky Leng <lengjianquan(at)163(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Has anybody think about changing BLCKSZ to an option of initdb?
Date: 2009-03-14 15:47:24
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> So has anyone here done any experiments with live systems with different block
> sizes? What were your experiences?

That should really have been the *first* question. We are not going to
make this a tunable unless there is some pretty strong evidence that
it's worth twiddling. Aside from the implementation costs of making
it variable, there is the oft repeated refrain that Postgres has too
many configuration knobs already.