Re: database upgrade. Urgent!!!

From: Raymond O'Donnell <rod(at)iol(dot)ie>
To: Bomken Basar <basarbomken(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: database upgrade. Urgent!!!
Date: 2008-01-07 21:04:03
Lists: pgadmin-support

On 07/01/2008 20:48, Bomken Basar wrote:

> By upgrade, i mean the upgradation of database, not the version number
> increment of postgres like from 8.0 to 8.2..

If you upgrade Postgres to a new major version (IIRC this means either
of the first two parts of the version number, e.g. 8.1 -> 8.2), then
usually you have to do a dump and reload of the data. The release notes
for the new version of PostgreSQL will tell you if you're not sure.

If you don't do this, then I'd imagine PostgreSQL simply won't work. -
not that I've tried it myself, mind. :-)

A minor version upgrade (e.g. 8.2.4 -> 8.2.5) usually doesn't need a
dump/restore: again, the release notes will tell you.

If you can establish the version of PostgreSQL you're using (PgAdmin
will tell you, or you can execute "select version()"), then you can
check the PG documentation at http://www.postgresql.org/docs/ to see
whether a dump/reload was required.....though if you can connect with
PgAdmin after the upgrade, then all is probably well.

HTH,

Ray.

rod(at)iol(dot)ie