Re: BUG #3808: Connections stays open in stateCLOSE_WAIT

From: Daniel Migowski <dmigowski(at)ikoffice(dot)de>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Dave Page <dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
Subject: Re: BUG #3808: Connections stays open in stateCLOSE_WAIT
Date: 2008-01-07 18:31:18
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Tom Lane schrieb:
> "Dave Page" <dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org> writes:
>
>>> From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
>>> Should we require the form to tell us their exact version number and
>>> throw an error if it isn't the current one?
>>>

>> Past experience with other bug systems tells me we'll just end up with people selecting the lastest version to ensure the form is accepted, thus making it even harder for us to figure out what the problem really is.
>>

> Agreed, that's a pretty awful idea. It's hard enough to get accurate
> version information, even without creating an incentive for people to
> lie. Moreover, of those that are too honest to do that, a lot would
> simply never file a report; thus keeping us from hearing about a problem
> that might well still exist.
>
> regards, tom lane

The problem seems to be fixed in the current version. Btw. if there
hasn't been a similar bug report before, it is still okey to post it,
for all others who will have the same problem again and can read in the
mailing list if a solution is the upgrade. You now, never touch a
running system, especially if it's running a highly used production site.

Btw. the update went without a glitch and was done in 5 Minutes, good
work for that. But I didn't know that and asking before having to
restore something for hours because of a failed update seems legitimate
to me.

With best regards,
Daniel Migowski