Re: Fail to connect after server crash

From: Kyle Wilcox <Kyle(dot)Wilcox(at)noaa(dot)gov>
To: Scott Marlowe <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Fail to connect after server crash
Date: 2008-01-04 17:46:52
Lists: pgsql-general

Checked some logs and a backup job was running at the same time as the
insertions. Must have been the backup job locking a file. Is there a
way to get the server to restart or should I reinstall?

Scott Marlowe wrote:
> Like Jonathan pointed out, looks like a permission issue. We see
> these things show up on Windows boxes quite often when a virus checker
> / spyware checker kicks in and does something stupid like lock a file
> that postgresql needs to have exclusive access to.
>
> Simple answer there is to put postgresql on it's own machine with no
> spyware detection / anti-virus software on it, or more complexly, tell
> it to ignore the directories where postgresql lives.

Kyle Wilcox
NOAA Chesapeake Bay Office
410 Severn Avenue
Suite 107A
Annapolis, MD 21403
office: (410) 295-3151
Kyle(dot)Wilcox(at)noaa(dot)gov

"It is from the wellspring of our despair and the places
that we are broken that we come to repair the world."
- Murray Waas