Re: libpq3 + ssl memory leak

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>
Cc: Olaf Hartmann <hao(at)telemedsys(dot)de>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org, Sean Chittenden <sean(at)chittenden(dot)org>
Subject: Re: libpq3 + ssl memory leak
Date: 2003-12-15 01:33:09
Lists: pgsql-bugs

> This fix needs to be in 7.4.1, so if anyone wants to review this
> patch, that would be great.

Looks reasonable from here, but confirmation from the complainant that
it fixes his problem would be real good ...

> P.S. I added an assertion in the backend code to help catch any other
> memory leaks in this area. I didn't add an equivalent one to the
> frontend code, because libpq doesn't seem to be setup for
> assertions.

Yeah, we can't assume that a decent support mechanism exists in an
arbitrary client application.

> When this is applied to 7.4.1, we probably shouldn't
> include the assertion at the risk of suffering backend crashes.

Assert away. People who are concerned about assertions destabilizing
their systems don't build with asserts enabled in the first place.