Re: VLDB Features

From: Markus Schiltknecht <markus(at)bluegap(dot)ch>
To: josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Hannu Krosing <hannu(at)skype(dot)net>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Subject: Re: VLDB Features
Date: 2007-12-12 18:23:49
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

Josh Berkus wrote:
> Here's the other VLDB features we're missing:
>
> Parallel Query

Uh.. this only makes sense in a distributed database, no? I've thought
about parallel querying on top of Postgres-R. Does it make sense
implementing some form of parallel querying apart from the distribution
or replication engine?

> Windowing Functions

Isn't Gavin Sherry working on this? Haven't read anything from him lately...

> Parallel Index Build (not sure how this works exactly, but it speeds Oracle
> up considerably)

Sounds interesting *turs-away-to-google*

> On-disk Bitmap Index (anyone game to finish GP patch?)

Anybody having an idea of what's missing there (besides good use cases,
which some people doubt)? Again: Gavin?

> Simon, we should start a VLDB-Postgres developer wiki page.

Thanks, Simon, wiki page looks good!

Regards

Markus