Re: Would it be OK if I put db file on a ext2 filesystem?

From: Collin Kidder <adderd(at)kkmfg(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Would it be OK if I put db file on a ext2 filesystem?
Date: 2007-12-12 15:46:50
Lists: pgsql-general

Magicloud Wang wrote:
> Dear,
> I think database has its own operation journal, and different journal
> filesystem does give different performance. So if I put database file on a
> non-journal filesystem, would it be safe? Does this like using a raw device?

You lose a little bit of data integrity in exchange for a little bit of
speed. I suppose it'd be a fine thing to do so long as you can live with
that trade off. If you want good data integrity you are more likely to
get it from battery backed RAID5 or RAID10 or something of that sort
rather than just trusting something like EXT3 or Reiser. EXT2 isn't a
bad file system.