Re: Submitting cursored query support, docs, etc

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: Kalle Hallivuori <kato(at)iki(dot)fi>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Submitting cursored query support, docs, etc
Date: 2007-11-29 10:18:03
Lists: pgadmin-hackers
Kalle Hallivuori wrote:
> Hi all fellow pgadmin-hackers!
>
> We at Koodaripalvelut.com are adding some features on top of pgAdmin
> for Truviso.com to support their streaming relations. A couple of
> items might be of interest to pgAdmin in general:
>
> 1. Automatic CURSOR wrapping for SELECT queries in SQL query window
> with yet another alternative Execute button
> 2. Showing results from cursors page by page in SQL output pane, with
> a "next page" button
> 3. Closing open query cursor when user executes another query, stops
> current one or closes the query window
> 4. Some documentation on architectural details of pgAdmin
> 5. How-tos for getting started on developing pgAdmin.
>
> Seems there's some support for branding and features of other
> proprietary servers. We'd probably happily provide all our code
> (currently being developed against the 1.8.0 release source) if you'd
> welcome it - mainly some extra classes and some bits of added
> abstraction in places such as columns.

Hi Kalle,

I'd be very happy to look at your code. Obviously I cannot guarantee
that it would all be incorporated into the base product, but certainly
all of the items above sound very interesting (I've personally wanted to
add a cursor mode to the query tool for some time).

We are keen to support major PostgreSQL derivatives whereever we can,
provided the changes are not too invasive, and I'd certainly be
interested to include Truviso in our list of supported servers if we can.

Regards, Dave