Re: [pgsql-eu-general] an admin team for the new European servers

From: Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan(at)kaltenbrunner(dot)cc>
To: Jean-Paul Argudo <jpargudo(at)postgresqlfr(dot)org>
Cc: damien(at)dalibo(dot)info, PostgreSQL EU General <pgsql-eu-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>, pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [pgsql-eu-general] an admin team for the new European servers
Date: 2007-11-24 09:06:54
Lists: pgeu-general pgsql-www

Jean-Paul Argudo wrote:
> Hi all,
>
>> [...]
>> For now this 4 servers are in Grenoble. They will be moved to Marseilles in
>> the first days of December and placed in Dalibo's datacenter, which is
>> operated by Lost-Oasis ( http://lost-oasis.fr http://www.ielo.net)
>> [...]
>
> I'll have the machines in my car on the 16th (yes, Sunday). I'll drive
> them down to Marseilles on the 17th. They'll be online on the 17th
> (simple linux install (surely debian or ubuntu server) + ssh), some
> admins will finish installing them later.

cool - but most of the postgresql.org infrastructure servers are running
FreeBSD(with jails to make moving services around easier) while it is
not necessary to have it on all boxes it would be good to get FreeBSD on
at least a few so we can use them to backup the other international VMs
for example.
If needed we can help with setting them up ...

>> The installation and configuration will be done by Dalibo ( probably Jean-Paul
>> Argudo and Cédric Villemain ). But beyond that, Dalibo wishes to delegate the
>> administration of the servers to community members...
>
> That's it. We'll continue sponsorship the bandwidth and such, be we
> won't administer them anymore.
>
>> Concerning the 2 servers given to PostgreSQLFR , an admin group composed of
>> members of the french association will be created...
>
> Exactly.
>
>> Dalibo would like to see such group created to administrate the servers
>> dedicated to PostgreSQL Europe.
>
> By a group, IMHO, its at a maximum, 4 or 5 persons.

hmm yeah there is already an established admin team for other
postgresql-infrastructure (as well a support infrastructure for
documentation, monitoring and stuff). We should probably look into how
we can avoid duplication of efforts here.

>> So here's a bunch of questions for you all :
>>
>> 1/ Who wants to admin this 2 servers ?
>
> Not me, I'll probably co-admin both of the 2 PostgreSQLFr.org servers.
>
>> 2/ What do we install on them ? What do we need ?

see above

> IMHO:
>
> - e-mail,
> - cms / wiki ... whatever to have some content..
> - ftp mirror of ftp.postgresql.org could be cool

not sure we need more ftp-mirrors, there are more interesting things we
could do with that kind of dedicated hosts.

> - some kind of redundancy between both of these servers
> - eu languages translations of docs & apps ?..
>

>> 3/ How do we name them ? ;-)
>
> Romus & Remulus ?

remus.postgresql.org and romulus.postgresql.org are already taken by
infrastructure hosts (the existing naming scheme is somewhat Star Trek
heavy)

Stefan