Re: wrong behavior using to_char() again

From: Euler Taveira de Oliveira <euler(at)timbira(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Pgsql Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Subject: Re: wrong behavior using to_char() again
Date: 2007-11-23 04:51:56
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

Bruce Momjian wrote:

> I am confused. You stated in your earlier email:
>
>> Looking again at bug report [1], I agree that's a glibc bug. Numbers
>> in pt_BR has its format 1.234.567,89; sometimes the format 1234567,89
>> is acceptable too, ie, the thousand separator is optional. I guess
>
> so I assumed that you were OK with having "." be the thousands
> separator. I think we have to try to get a proper fix even if glibc is
> incorrect. The problem we had with psql print.c is that when we didn't
> provide a "." default we had people complaining about that. The idea I
> think is that if people are asking for a thousands separator in the
> to_char() format they certainly want to see a thousands separator.

Maybe I'm not so clear (too few caffeine) but what I tried to say
(suggest) is that we could accept the thousands_sep from glibc instead
of guessing it ("."). I'm fine with the current behavior (at least in
pt_BR) but I'm afraid we have broken some locales (those that a
presented in the lcnumeric.diff).

--
Euler Taveira de Oliveira
http://www.timbira.com/