Aggregate question (Sum)

From: "Luiz K(dot) Matsumura" <luiz(at)planit(dot)com(dot)br>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Aggregate question (Sum)
Date: 2007-11-19 20:46:50
Lists: pgsql-sql

Hi All,

I want to know if there are an easy manner to do an SQL like this bellow
where TotalOrdersValue sum the order.total just one time per order (as
count(DISTINCT order.id) do)

SELECT order.dtorder
, Count( DISTINCT order.fk_customer ) AS QtyCustomer
, Count( DISTINCT order.id ) AS QtyOrder
, Sum( order_item.qty ) AS TotalQtyItem
, Sum( order.total ) AS TotalOrders
FROM order JOIN order_item ON order_item.fk_order = order.id
GROUP BY 1
ORDER BY 1

Ex.
ORDER
Id | dtorder | fk_customer | total
1 | 2007-01-01 | 1 | 100.00
2 | 2007-01-01 | 1 | 30.00

order_item
fk_order | qty | fk_product
--------------------------------
1 | 5 | A
1 | 2 | B
2 | 3 | C

The query acctualy returns (as expected):

dtorder | QtyCustomer | QtyOrder | TotalQtyItem | TotalOrders
2007-01-01 | 1 | 2 | 10 | 230.00

But I want

dtorder | QtyCustomer | QtyOrder | TotalQtyItem | TotalOrders
2007-01-01 | 1 | 2 | 10 | 130.00

I just want to avoid to do, if possible, things like:

SELECT totals.dtorder
, totals.QtyCustomer
, totals.QtyOrder
, totals.TotalQtyItem
, Sum( order.total ) AS TotalOrders
FROM ( SELECT order.dtorder
, Count( DISTINCT order.fk_customer ) AS QtyCustomer
, Count( DISTINCT order.id ) AS QtyOrder
, Sum( order_item.qty ) AS TotalQtyItem
FROM order JOIN order_item ON order_item.fk_order = order.id
GROUP BY 1 ) totals
JOIN order ON order.dtorder = totals.dtorder
GROUP BY 1,2,3,4
ORDER BY totals.dtorder

I say this because it's seem a waste of effort just to sum a value that
can be calculated on the same loop where postgresql will go on table
order...
If someone can give me some hint I will apreciate.

Tanks in advance.

--
Luiz K. Matsumura
Plan IT Tecnologia Informática Ltda.