current_user changes immediately after login

From: Christian Schröder <cs(at)deriva(dot)de>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: current_user changes immediately after login
Date: 2007-10-31 23:10:02
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi list,
I have a strange problem: When I connect to one of my databases, the
current_user immediatly changes without any interaction from my side.
This is what I do:

chschroe(at)db1:~> psql -h db2 testdb

Type: \copyright for distribution terms
\h for help with SQL commands
\? for help with psql commands
\q to quit

testdb=> select session_user;
session_user
--------------
chschroe
(1 row)

testdb=> select current_user;
current_user
--------------
itstaff
(1 row)

How can this happen? The consequence of this is that I cannot access the
tables because the role "itstaff" has no privileges. "reset role" does
not have any effect. After "set role none" the current_user is equal to
the session_user and the tables are accessible again.

This problem does only occur with this database. Do you have any
explanation?

Regards,
Christian

--
Deriva GmbH Tel.: +49 551 489500-42
Financial IT and Consulting Fax: +49 551 489500-91

Deriva CA Certificate: http://www.deriva.de/deriva-ca.cer