Re: Possible planner bug/regression introduced in 8.2.5

From: Jakub Ouhrabka <kuba(at)comgate(dot)cz>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Possible planner bug/regression introduced in 8.2.5
Date: 2007-10-26 13:59:17
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Hi Tom,

> Hmm. I think there are two different bugs involved here. One is fixed
> by the attached patch, and it masks the performance problem on your test
> case, but I wonder whether it will be enough for your real application.
> Can you try this and see if it fixes 8.2.5 for you?

many thanks for the quick patch! PostreSQL support is truly unbeatable...

We did some test today with patched 8.2.5. For some cases it is ok but
for large ones it is still taking quite a big time (e.g. for 23 joins is
the planning time 107s). Maybe there's no regression from 8.2.4 - we'll
do the tests against 8.2.4 on Monday - it's not usual for us to run with
geqo switched off and we don't monitor the planning time - the total
runtime for these queries is in minutes so we don't know were the time
is spent.

I'll keep you updated.

Kuba