Re: pg_restore oddity?

From: "Heikki Linnakangas" <heikki(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: "Mario Weilguni" <mweilguni(at)sime(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_restore oddity?
Date: 2007-10-12 12:34:37
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Mario Weilguni wrote:
> I cannot use "-1" for performance, because some gist stuff has changed
> and the restore fails. But there seems to be no option for pg_restore to
> use transactions for data restore, so it's very very slow (one million
> records, each obviously in it's own transaction - because a separate
> session "select count(1) from logins" shows a growing number).

By default, pg_dump/pg_restore uses a COPY command for each table, and
each COPY executes as a single transaction, so you shouldn't see the row
count growing like that. Is the dump file in --inserts format?

> It would be nice to use transactions for the data stuff itself, but not
> for schema changes or functions. I know I can use separate pg_restore
> runs for schema and data, but it's complicated IMHO.

pg_restore -s foo
pg_restore -a -1 foo

doesn't seem too complicated to me. Am I missing something?

--
Heikki Linnakangas