Re: Skytools committed without hackers discussion/review

From: Jan Wieck <JanWieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Marko Kreen <markokr(at)gmail(dot)com>, Jan Wieck <wieck(at)postgresql(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Skytools committed without hackers discussion/review
Date: 2007-10-09 20:13:50
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

On 10/9/2007 1:06 AM, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Jan Wieck wrote:

>> > It would ultimately have been core's decision, but the discussion should
>> > have happened on -hackers. There was no reason for it to be private.
>>
>> That blame certainly belongs to me and I apologize for jumping that and
>> adding it to contrib without any -hackers discussion.
>>
>> It is definitely a timing issue since I write this very email from JFK,
>> boarding a flight to Hong Kong in less than an hour and will be mostly
>> offline for the rest of the week.
>
> I don't see how timing has anything to do with this. You could have
> added it between beta1 and beta2 after sufficient hackers discussion.
> Doing it the way you did with no warning, right before beta, and then
> leaving is the worse of all times. I am surprised we are not backing
> out the patch and requiring that the patch go through the formal review
> process.
>
> This is not the first time you have had trouble with patches. There was
> an issue with your patch of February, 2007:
>
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2007-02/msg00385.php

That email might contain the keyword COMMIT, but it doesn't have to do
with anything I committed to CVS. The trigger changes you are referring
to have been discussed and a patch for discussion was presented here:

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2007-02/msg00146.php

> (In summary, you had to be coaxed to explain your patch to the
> community.) Basically, I am not sure you understand the process that
> has to be followed, or feel you are somehow immune from following it.

I don't see how you leap from the above example to that conclusion.

Jan

# Let's break this rule - forgive me. #