Re: top for postgresql (ptop?)

From: Zdenek Kotala <Zdenek(dot)Kotala(at)Sun(dot)COM>
To: Mark Wong <markwkm(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Satoshi Nagayasu <nagayasus(at)nttdata(dot)co(dot)jp>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: top for postgresql (ptop?)
Date: 2007-09-27 02:13:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Mark Wong wrote:
> On 9/25/07, Satoshi Nagayasu <nagayasus(at)nttdata(dot)co(dot)jp> wrote:
>> Mark,
>>
>> Very interesting. I'm looking for such tool.
>>
>> Unfortunately, I can't compile it on my Solaris right now,
>> but I hope it will be shipped with PostgreSQL distribution.
>
> I haven't tried it on Solaris but I'm not surprised. If I can get my
> hands on a Solaris system I can probably get it to work. :) The code
> for getting the process information is platform specific and I know
> I've broken it for all the platforms I haven't tried it on...

Mark,

I tested it on Solaris and I found two problems there. One is with
configure. It does not correctly handled CPPFLAGS. Generated makefile
ignore path to the include files. This line is wrong:

# explicit dependency for the module appropriate to this machine
m_sunos5.o: $(srcdir)/machine/m_sunos5.c
$(COMPILE) -o $@ -c $(srcdir)/machine/m_sunos5.c

Second issue is with new interface of get_process_info function.
Currently it has 4 arguments but in m_sunos5.c is defined only with 3
arguments.

Last issue is with -m64 switch. Solaris pg installation does not have
64bit libpg (will be soon) and linker is not able put everything together.

Zdenek