Re: CREATE DATABASE cannot be executed from a function or multi-command string

From: "Heikki Linnakangas" <heikki(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: "PostgreSQL-development" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: CREATE DATABASE cannot be executed from a function or multi-command string
Date: 2007-09-24 10:30:41
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Dave Page wrote:
> I get the above error message when creating a database in pgAdmin now:
>
> CREATE DATABASE demo
> WITH ENCODING='SQL_ASCII'
> TABLESPACE=pg_default;
> COMMENT ON DATABASE demo IS 'This is the demo database';
> GRANT ALL ON DATABASE demo TO public;
> ALTER DATABASE demo SET search_path=demo;
>
> I understand what the message is telling me to do, but what is the
> reason for this change, and is it really *required*?

This is the commit that changed it:

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-committers/2007-03/msg00270.php

It was in fact never supposed to work, but we failed to detect it. I had
to modify my test scripts that did something like psql -c "VACUUM foo;
SELECT ..." because of that as well. It's highly likely that it'll brake
other people's scripts as well, but I don't think there's much we can do
about it :(.

> The way pgAdmin is
> designed, a change to accomodate firing everything off in seperate
> queries would be a significant one which would most likely require us to
> effectively restart our whole beta process and may well mean we don't
> have a release ready for 8.3 in fact :-(

I'm surprised this hasn't been noticed before, the change was made back
in March. Are you sure there's more queries like that that need to be
modified?

--
Heikki Linnakangas