Re: HOT is applied

From: "Heikki Linnakangas" <heikki(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Pavan Deolasee" <pavan(dot)deolasee(at)gmail(dot)com>, <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: HOT is applied
Date: 2007-09-20 19:22:26
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:
> I've committed the HOT patch.

Thanks, much easier to work with it now that it's in.

> I'd still like to think about whether we
> can be smarter about when to invoke pruning, but that's a small enough
> issue that the patch can go in without it.

Yeah. I'm doing some micro-benchmarking, and the attached test case is
much slower with HOT. It's spending a lot of time trying to prune, only
to find out that it can't.

Instead of/in addition to avoiding pruning when it doesn't help, maybe
we could make HeapTupleSatisfiesVacuum cheaper.

I'm going to continue testing, this is just a heads-up that HOT as
committed seriously hurts performance in some cases. (though one can
argue that this test case isn't a very realistic one.)

--
Heikki Linnakangas

Attachment Content-Type Size
updatetest-2.sql text/x-sql 430 bytes