ERROR: duplicate key violates unique constraint "client_alerts_PK"

From: Robert Starr <rob(at)surrenderdorothy(dot)com(dot)au>
To: pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: ERROR: duplicate key violates unique constraint "client_alerts_PK"
Date: 2007-09-13 03:52:54
Lists: pgadmin-support

Hi all,

I am having an issue, where I create a new table, setup the constraints
for Auto Increment and Primary Key etc, then manually add a bunch of
data using pgadmin similar to the following:
insert into clients_alerts (id, client_id, alert_message,
alert_complete, date, staff_id) values('1','39','This is some alert
text','0','2007-05-04 12:42:05','14');

That works fine, but after say, 30 of those, I have an ID of '30' (of
course ;) ) but if I look at the sequence it says that the Current
Value is only at 1.

This then creates an issue when I want to add data via RealBasic, as it
bails until I've tried 30+ times. I can of course go in and manually
change the Current Value to 30 but I have an install base of over 30
servers and each has their own levels of data so each number would be
different.

The question is then: Is there a way to have the Current Value update
when I initially add that data with the insert into statements?

Any help greatly appreciated...

Rob