Re: HOT patch - version 15

From: "Heikki Linnakangas" <heikki(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: "Bruce Momjian" <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Florian Pflug" <fgp(dot)phlo(dot)org(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Simon Riggs" <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, "Pavan Deolasee" <pavan(dot)deolasee(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Gregory Stark" <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, "PostgreSQL-patches" <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: HOT patch - version 15
Date: 2007-09-10 08:03:07
Lists: pgsql-patches

Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> The we-already-pinned-the-page problem is a bit nasty but may not be
>> insurmountable.

If you find a way, that would be great.

> As I understand it, there are two HOT features:
>
> Single-chain pruning, which trims HOT chains but doesn't reuse
> the space
>
> Defragementation, which prunes the entire page and reuses space
> and handles deleted rows, etc.

I'm repeating myself, but I would split that second operation into two
parts while we think about this: pruning the entire page, and
defragmenting (PageRepairFragmentation). Tom wondered why they're
separated in the patch. As the patch stands, there is no reason, but I
feel that separating them and doing them at different times might be an
important piece in the puzzle.

--
Heikki Linnakangas