Re: BUG #3605: impossible loading

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: Christian PANEL <ch(dot)panel(at)free(dot)fr>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #3605: impossible loading
Date: 2007-09-10 07:38:34
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Christian PANEL wrote:
> I have tried 7 mirrors sites (2 france, others usa and deutchland) that
> totalize more than 7 hours of connection in several days and have enough.
> My ISP is Free. I have soon dowload big files (15Mo) with it but perhaps
> have they changed since that.
> I precise I have tried FTP and HTTP. But how can I know who is
> responsible but I think I'm not alone with this situation.

We have many thousands of downloads every month, but unfortunately
you're the first person who has reported this issue.

> I want you to know this Situation.
> For me the solution is to find someone who have fast-debit connection to
> try again a last time.

I think it was Heikki who suggested using a ftp program that can resume
broken downloads - one suggestion would be Filezilla
(http://filezilla-project.org). I haven't used it for a year or so, but
it certainly used to be very good. You can download straight from one of
the mirrors, eg: ftp://ftp3.fr.postgresql.org/pub/postgresql/

> Your response is a reason to see more over and that Postgree could be
> quite interessant (because there is someone in the back) and is not like
> many preytendly (free) freeware.

There is a large and friendly community behind PostgreSQL - we're happy
to help.

> I'm responsible of a free french GIS software and want to evaluate
> Postgree (possibly to integrate in it)

Ahh, in which case you'll probably also want to look at PostGIS -
http://www.postgis.org/

Regards, Dave