Copy from and serial columns

From: Sean Davis <sdavis2(at)mail(dot)nih(dot)gov>
To: Postgres Newbie <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Copy from and serial columns
Date: 2007-09-05 01:28:07
Lists: pgsql-novice

I have a client (psycopg2) that only allows copies of the entire table
(not specific rows). I would like to use a SERIAL column on tables, but
I cannot seem to figure out how to apply the default. Trying to insert
a NULL does not do it. Is there another way, or should I do what is
probably better and ask the client author to provide functionality for
allowing subsets of columns to be passed to the copy command?

Thanks,
Sean