Re: tsearch filenames unlikes special symbols and numbers

From: Florian Pflug <fgp(dot)phlo(dot)org(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Trevor Talbot <quension(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Mark Mielke <mark(at)mark(dot)mielke(dot)cc>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Oleg Bartunov <oleg(at)sai(dot)msu(dot)su>, Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: tsearch filenames unlikes special symbols and numbers
Date: 2007-09-03 18:01:08
Lists: pgsql-docs pgsql-hackers

Trevor Talbot wrote:
> On 9/3/07, Mark Mielke <mark(at)mark(dot)mielke(dot)cc> wrote:
>> Tom Lane wrote:
>>> Also, ____ says that Windows throws an error for ":" in the filename,
>>> which means we needn't.
>
>> Windows doesn't fail - but it can do odd things. For example, try:
>>
>> C:\> echo hi >foo:bar
>>
>> If one then checks the directory, one finds a "foo".
>
> : is used for naming streams and attribute types in NTFS filenames.
> It's not very well-known functionality and tends to confuse people,
> but I'm not aware of any situation where it'd be a problem for read
> access. (Creation is not a security risk in the technical sense, but
> as most administrators aren't aware of alternate data streams and the
> shell does not expose them, it's effectively hidden data.)
>
> If any of you are familiar with MacOS HFS resource forks, NTFS
> basically supports an arbitrary number of named forks. A file is
> collection of one or more data streams, the single unnamed stream
> being default.

On MacOS (prior) to OSX, : was used as a directory seperator (Paths
looked like "My Harddisk:My Folder:Somefile"). In OSX, "/" is used,
but for backwards-compatibility the Finder translates "/" in filenames
to ":". So, of you do for example "touch 'my:test'" on the shell,
you see "my/test" in the Finder.

Thats another argument for staying away from : in filenames.

greetings, Florian Pflug