Re: Transaction Log

From: Mark Mielke <mark(at)mark(dot)mielke(dot)cc>
To: mbguy2000-1(at)yahoo(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Transaction Log
Date: 2007-08-29 19:54:05
Lists: pgsql-performance

mbguy2000-1(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote:
> For best performance, the transaction log should be on a separate disk.
>
> Does the writing of the log benefit from a battery backed controller
> as well? If not, what do people think about writing the transaction
> log to a flash card or the like?
How popular are the battery backed RAM drives that exist today? I don't
recall seeing them spoken about in this mailing list. The local geek
shop has these devices on sale. Are they still too expensive?

For those that don't know what I am talking about - they are PCI devices
that present themselves as a hard drive, but are filled with commodity
RAM instead of a magnetic platter, and a battery that lasts a few weeks
without external power.

Cheers,
mark

--