Re: Question regarding autovacuum

From: Karl Denninger <karl(at)denninger(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Question regarding autovacuum
Date: 2007-08-28 21:15:31
Lists: pgsql-general

Tom Lane wrote:
> Karl Denninger <karl(at)denninger(dot)net> writes:
>
>> But... .shouldn't autovacuum prevent this? Is there some way to look in
>> a log somewhere and see if and when the autovacuum is being run - and on
>> what?
>>

> There's no log messages (at the default log verbosity anyway). But you
> could look into the pg_stat views for the last vacuum time for each table.
>
> regards, tom lane

It looks like it IS being run.

Now the problem is, what's going on? Maybe running out of fsm_map
entries? Hmnmmmmm..... vacuum full fixes it, which I assume reclaims
those, yes? I wonder if increasing that quite radically (I have lots of
server RAM and SYSV SHM has been cranked wide) would take care of it....

-- Karl