Re: Add Column BEFORE/AFTER another column

From: Matthew <mboehm(at)voilaip(dot)com>
To: Bill Moran <wmoran(at)potentialtech(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Add Column BEFORE/AFTER another column
Date: 2007-08-24 21:18:18
Lists: pgsql-general

Hey Bill,

> It does not.

Bummer.

> To get your columns in a specific order, specify the column names in
> that order in your SELECT statement. The SQL standard doesn't provide
> for any other way to guarantee column order, and neither does Postgres.

Yes, I realize this and we do identify our columns during select
statements, but when you look at a table using a tool like phpPGAdmin or
pgAdmin3, the columns are displayed in some defined order. It's much
easier to see your data/columns in some logical order (ie: all the cost
columns next to each other).

Thanks,
Matthew