Re: SOS. Database Lost

From: Luis Perruca <l(dot)perruca(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: SOS. Database Lost
Date: 2007-08-21 08:53:20
Lists: pgsql-admin

Scott Marlowe wrote:
> On 8/20/07, luis perruca <l(dot)perruca(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>
>> Hi All: I'm From Spain and I'll try to write in english as best as possible:
>>

> Your english > my spanish, so please don't worry.
>

>> I'm new in the list, and I have a serious problem: I am novice with
>> Postgresql and I haven't found any solution.
>> I Wil descrive the scenario:
>>
>> I have Postgresql 8.0.1 running on Windows 2003 Server.
>> I have a Backup of my database, but is a little old
>>

> A pg_dump type backup, or a file system backup?

A file System backup
>> And here is my problem:
>>
>> First, the Postgresql service didn't started (really started, but shut down
>> immediatly)
>>

> What steps led to this happening. They might be important.
>
> Did you install new /update software on this server? Especially
> anti-virus software? That stuff's nearly as dangerous as a virus
> itself for a database.
>
> What are the exact error messages you got when this happened.

I don't remember exactly the error, but says something like "the service
started and then shut down. (some services shut down when have nothing
to do)". This really says nothing.
>> then I copied all the "postgresql" folder in other place, uninstalled and
>> reinstalled Postgresql, and then overwrite the "data" folder with the one
>> from the copy that I did.
>>

> Did you shut down postgresql while you were copying those files back?

Yes, postgresql was down when restoring the folder.

>> Now, the service starts properly, but the database doesn´t work. I did
>> "pg_resetxlog" (I don´t know what it does, but I saw it somewhere).
>>

> It reselts the transaction log pointer. It has likely set back in
> time to when there was nothing in the database. Just guessing.
>

>> From pgAdmin III, I see the database, I access it, I see the tables and
>> their properties, but no data. I get the error "xlog flush request
>> 6D/432AAAA8 is not satisfied --- flushed only to 0/C03D020 CONTEXT: writing
>> block 925 of relation 16631/17254/18128" when I try to view the tables
>>

> Have you still got that old pg directory? Try shutting down pgsql,
> copying the data part back in place, and restarting pgsql and see if
> it starts up right or not.

The service starts, but with the errors that I have told: I see the
tables but I get error or no data.