Re: Performance Solaris vs Linux

From: Chris Mair <chris(at)1006(dot)org>
To: Fredrik Bertilsson <frebe73(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Performance Solaris vs Linux
Date: 2007-08-18 10:13:45
Lists: pgsql-performance

Fredrik Bertilsson wrote:
> Hi,
> we are using Postgres on both Solaris servers and Linux servers, and
> Postgres are much slower on Solaris servers. We have tested with
> different versions of Solaris and Postgres, but the fact remains:
> Postgres seems to be much faster on Linux server. Does anybody else has
> the same experience?
>
> Best regards,
> Fredrik B

I had some performance problems on Solaris a while ago which let to
this interesting thread:

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-performance/2006-04/thrd4.php#00035

executive summary:
- write cache might be (unexpectedly) off by default on sun gear
- set explicitly "wal_sync_method = fsync"
- some other settings (see thread)

Bye,
Chris.