Re: Testing the async-commit patch

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Testing the async-commit patch
Date: 2007-08-14 14:13:20
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:

>> Simon Riggs wrote:
>>
>>> Sounds fine, though I'd prefer this in XML to allow further
>>> extensibility in the future.
>>>

>> YAML?
>>

> That would seem to require making pg_regress depend on some XML library
> or other, which is a dependency I'd rather not add.

Yeah, I think the way I set it out would work just fine for the intended
purpose. XML, YAML, JSON et al are all well suited to tree structured
data. But what we're describing here isn't tree structured. It is simply
some named sets of postgresql.conf directives. As such, it would be best
if it were as close as possible to actual postgresql.conf syntax.

And I am also reluctant to add an additional dependency onto the
buildfarm script. (I wasn't actually thinking of doing this throught
pg_regress, but I'm open to persuasion).

cheers

andrew