Re: [HACKERS] PostgreSQL on AIX

From: "Zeugswetter Andreas SB SD" <ZeugswetterA(at)spardat(dot)at>
To: <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "Bruce Momjian" <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] PostgreSQL on AIX
Date: 2002-06-07 14:23:42
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-sql

> Anyway, I am pretty sure that PostgreSQL is not the culprit here. As it
> happens this project is back on the table for me so it is interesting that
> your email popped up now. I just compiled the latest version of PostgreSQL
> on my AIX system and it generated lots of errors and then completed and
> installed fine. Makes me sort of nervous. We'll see how it goes. Anyone
> have any horror/success stories about PostgreSQL on AIX for me?

The "errors" are mostly duplicate symbol warnings, that are part of generating
a shared lib on AIX (in a mostly gcc and xlc independent way), and can be safely
ignored.

The imho most needed effort for AIX would be to switch the TAS stuff from
cs() to fetch_and_or() or a PowerPC assembler or the test_and_set() that is
undocumented/intended for kernel, see discussions from last year.

The fetch_and_or() is a lot faster on multi processor systems but a little
slower on single processor. But cs() is documented as depricated, so ...

I might get round to doing this.

Andreas