Re: timeout implementation issues

From: "Zeugswetter Andreas SB SD" <ZeugswetterA(at)spardat(dot)at>
To: "Jessica Perry Hekman" <jphekman(at)dynamicdiagrams(dot)com>, "Bruce Momjian" <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Peter Eisentraut" <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: timeout implementation issues
Date: 2002-04-02 09:12:27
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> So the work that would need to be done is asking the driver to request the
> timeout via "BEGIN WORK TIMEOUT 5"; getting the backend to parse that
> request and set the alarm on each query in that transaction; getting the

Well imho that interpretation would be completely unobvious.
My first guess would have been, that with this syntax the whole transaction
must commit or rollback within 5 seconds.

Thus I think we only need statement_timeout. ODBC, same as JDBC wants it at the
statement handle level. ODBC also provides for a default that applies to all
statement handles of this connection (They call the statement attr QUERY_TIMEOUT,
so imho there is room for interpretation whether it applies to selects only, which
I would find absurd).

Andreas