Re: elog() patch

From: "Zeugswetter Andreas SB SD" <ZeugswetterA(at)spardat(dot)at>
To: "Peter Eisentraut" <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: "Bruce Momjian" <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, "PostgreSQL-development" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: elog() patch
Date: 2002-03-01 17:22:14
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Peter writes:
> > SQL92 has WARNING, would that be a suitable addition to NOTICE ?
> > INFO would not be added since it is like old NOTICE which would stay.
> > So, instead of introducing a lighter level we would introduce a
> > stronger level. (WARNING more important than NOTICE)
> > If we change, we might as well adopt some more SQL'ism.
>
> At the client side SQL knows two levels, namely a "completion condition"
> and an "exception condition". In the PostgreSQL client protocol, these
> are distinguished as N and E message packets. The tags of the messages
> are irrelevant, they just serve as a guide to the user reading the
> message.

I am referring to "completion condition" messages according to SQLSTATE:

00xxx: Success
01xxx: Success with Warning
02xxx: Success but no rows found
03 and > : Failure

I see that there is no notion of INFO, thus I agree that INFO should not be
something normally sent to the user. INFO could be the first DEBUG Level,
or completely skipped.

I think that LOG would be more worth the trouble than INFO.

Andreas