Re: Time as keyword

From: "Zeugswetter Andreas SB SD" <ZeugswetterA(at)spardat(dot)at>
To: <lockhart(at)fourpalms(dot)org>, "Dwayne Miller" <dwayne-miller(at)home(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Time as keyword
Date: 2002-01-09 08:45:09
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> > Did time become a keyword in 7.2? 7.1.3 allowed it as a column name...
> > 7.2 rejects it.
>
> Yes. We now support SQL99 time and timestamp precision, which require
> that TIME(p) be a type specification. So there are parts of the grammar
> which cannot easily fit "time" anymore.

Isn't the grammar explicit enough to distinguish a value (in this case function
call) from a type name ? It seems a type name will only appear in very specific
contexts.
Imho it would be nice if we could allow "select timestamp(xxx);",
and this has been the umpteenth request in this regard, and 7.2 is not even
released yet.

Andreas